Sunday 28 July 2013

When in Rome...



 
There are days when I'm convinced the letters MC stand for 'Major Chameleon'.  Let me tell you about one of those days

Last week Tuesday around 2pm, I get a call about a potential job. Master of ceremonies needed for fashion show.  Candidate must engage audience and veer towards standup comedy once in a while.  "No problem".  I tell the client "I’m available.  I can do it."

Fast forward 3 hours later and another call comes through.  Event organiser would like me to be the MC at a commemorative lecture in honour of a VVIP.  Qualities needed: gravitas, poise, calm.  "No worries at all", I assure the organiser, "I can do serious too."

As you may have noticed, an MC must have the ability, just like the chameleon, to take on the characteristics of the environment and blend in harmoniously.  He achieves this by what he says and how he says it.  That's the key to success in the profession.  Would you be happy with an MC who persisted in cracking dry jokes instead of concentrating on hosting a serious event in the appropriate mood? No.  And would you be excited about an MC who speaks with diplomatic formality at a fashion event where the ambience is bright and colourful?  Definitely not.

Remember if you are the Master of Ceremonies, you are also playing the role of the Major Chameleon.  Make sure you fit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment