Monday 29 July 2013

Singing For Your Supper



Two weeks ago I attended a party hosted by a good friend I've known for 20 years now.  I was at the event as a guest and not working, which was a nice change.  The audience was made up of young professionals from Ghana and the African Diaspora.  There was a talented live band pumping out rhythmic grooves nonstop.  Also in the house was a very well-known singer renowned for a string of dance-floor hits from the late 80's.  An hour into the party, he came up to me and remarked with a twinkle in his eyes, "Any time I go out to chill, I'm asked to perform.  It's like having to sing for my supper chaley!"  Well, our reluctant star musician could only resist for so long.  In the end, he agreed to perform, on condition that I first introduce him onto the stage.  Which I promptly did.

What's the point of this story?  It's this - be professional, don't disappoint your clients and always be prepared.  As far as the public is concerned, there's no such thing as an off-duty performer.  My friend  had to get on the stage and do his thing, even if he didn't feel like it or just wanted to take a day off.  And by the way, his performance was top-notch as usual.  That's because he was prepared to pull it off even if he had been unwilling to do so only a few moments earlier.  And that, I noted, is the mark of a professional, not just in the music industry but in virtually any field.  That's what I was reminded of after the unscheduled singing session that our star gave us.  Because if you notice, both of us sang for our supper that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment